About Us

History

The Fauntleroy Children’s Center was founded in 1977 by Dr. John (Jack) Pierce, who sought to provide local working families with high-quality, affordable childcare. We are a non-profit organization governed by the Fauntleroy Community Service Agency (FCSA) and supported by our Parents’ Advisory Board.

Facility

FCC is made up of eight classrooms licensed to serve 135 children ranging in age from one month to 12 years.

We are fortunate to call the historic Fauntleroy Schoolhouse our home. Built in 1917 in the heart of the Fauntleroy community, Fauntleroy School operated as an elementary school until it was closed in 1981. FCC moved to the Schoolhouse that fall, and 30 years later in 2010, our parent organization (the FCSA) received a grant to purchase the building and most of the surrounding property from the District. Today, the Fauntleroy Schoolhouse is a natural hub of the neighborhood. In addition to FCC, the Schoolhouse is home to Dance! West Seattle, Taproot School, the Hall at Fauntleroy, and several other small community businesses.

Our outdoor space spans much of the original school playground, and includes expansive play structures for each classroom, a large grassy field, and ample parking. Classrooms and playgrounds feature personalized touches hand-crafted by staff, parents, and volunteers. These, along with repurposed original fixtures from the Schoolhouse’s days as an elementary school come together to create a delightful and engaging home-away-from-home.

Staff

Our professional staff is close-knit, devoted, and distinctively long-tenured. Our Executive Director, Kim Sheridan, has been with FCC for over 30 years and has seen FCC grow from a small preschool to the thriving early childhood education center it is today. A number of our teachers have been with FCC since its inception, and our staff even includes children of long-time teachers, as well as former students.